It’s late on a Sunday night and my internal clock is off in a might-be-in-London-but-am-in-SF sort of way. Ack. The familia just left tonight and we had some classic moments that made this Christmas unforgettable:
1. Attending Madama Butterfly and sniffling along with the crowd at Cio Cio San’s sad tale.
2. Sitting next to seven year old P. and listening to her childish giggle during “Enchanted”.
3. Sleeping in late and getting to loll about in my warmed flannel sheets, talking to Tia M.
4. Walking to Green Apple, poring over piles of books like someone with all the time in the world.
5. All the wonderful texts, emails, calls and well wishes from friends & family around the world!
6. Pretty fabulous gifts: cake decorating kit, Blue Bottle gift certificates, Arrested Development Season 1, retro Parisian stickers, a turquoise ring from a Tibetan market in China and books 🙂
7. Watching the ice bears fight during “The Golden Compass”.
8. Birthday dinner at Cafe Gratitude- yummy quinoa and live enchiladas with garden veg. pate.
9. Singing Christmas carols with friends and strangers alike while playing a paper plate as a drum during a rendition of “Little Drummer Boy”.
10. Vegan chocolate mousse with a lit candle sticking out of it as the servers sing Happy Birthday.
11. A sunny crisp day full of uncaptured moments waiting to happen.
1. The new setup in the living room- good for large gatherings of people
2. Collaborative efforts of music, food and drinks with my boy Kenny-O
3. Toasted macadamia nuts
4. Wiling away the hours chatting with Mai Mai on the couch as Ad sidles up and starts making funny comments
5. Having so many of my favorite people in one place
6. My friend Chow Mein being in town and eating at our favorite spot for brunch over a long delayed chat about swimming *bobbing* in the Dead Sea
7. The combination of semisweet chocolate with sugared ginger- can transform any ol’ white cake into something delish
8. My door prize going to someone who will really enjoy its components (which I would have loved getting- mini moleskines, stickers, chocolate chile bar, red ginger candle, black cherry body butter, notecards and coconut oolong Tea Pouches)
9. Imagine a markerboard with the question for party-goers to answer: “What is one of your favorite things?”
10. Now imagine the response, “My husband’s butt. Yummy.” 🙂
11. Shaking up some Amaretto Sours
12. Burnt orange corduroy
13. Good hugs from good friends
14. Being one of two punk rockers attending a church ladies’ baby shower
15. Women becoming mockingly irate at a game we played where none of them guessed the top 5 boy names in 2007
16. L’s collection of theater kids and their dynamo spirit at the cast party
17. Playing the “who am I” game with high schoolers at the cast party and rocking it!
18. Cleaning the kitchen while rocking out to Heart
19. Pretending I’m 17 and going to sleep at 2 a.m. Friday night and 3:30 a.m. Saturday while waking up early both days
20. Acting the role of portrait model du jour for Rona while escaping the cats attacking my nose at the baby shower
1. Sleeping in Thursday morning after an early a.m. airport run (like a big snooze button).
2. Singing the doxology 3 times at Thanksgiving to give thanks back to our Creator.
3. Seeing the opera “MacBeth” tomorrow night, sitting in killer seats.
4. My mom and I disagreeing politely like iron sharpening iron.
5. Connecting with an old friend over homemade Indian food in our yearly catch up and learning his permanent seat on United is 35A.
6. Butternut squash bread pudding- ok seriously I tweaked this recipe and this is going to be inked into my ever-growing cookbook.
7. No traffic, easy parking and one phone call at work on black Friday.
8. Finishing my paper on South American / Spanish surrealist poetry.
9. Rubbing sage between my fingertips and then inhaling deeply.
10. Loren. When the two of us get together, the antics begin!
11. Relabeling and cleaning out my desk and file cabinets at work on black Friday! Fall cleaning is the best!
1. “Across the Universe”… a truly brilliant musical tour de force on the wide screen!
2. Rediscovering my love of the pot- painting pottery today with friends and having my way with color. Hello Provence!
3. Moving my cookbooks back to the kitchen and seeing their cheerfully colorful salutation every time I walk into the kitchen.
4. Watching the alligators sun themselves in Orlando under heat lamps in the lobby of our hotel… OR watching them sleep on a large rock with turtles. Very precious.
5. Discovering Pizzetta 211 and especially their curried butternut squash pizza with apples and Spanish peanuts. Yum!
6. Talking with Olga about forging an artistic life in conjunction with faith and how they rub on each other.
7. Making final preparation plans for the birthday dance party of the year!
8. Robert Bly and his radical ideas of “leaping poetry.”
9. My roommates and our new message board in the kitchen.
10. Celebrating one of my favorite people’s birthdays. My description of her: she’s one of the “sweetest, gentlest people edged with fire!”
11. Lying in front of the fire last night and talking late into the night with J.
It’s been a few weeks since blogging which really means what happened to my computer?! And so what used to have the backdrop of Scheveningen on my laptop now has an ad of a bull terrier English Breakfast tea on it with the words “assertive”, “strong” and “bold” rising out of the steam. Kind of like me turning over a new leaf of sorts. The list is longer only because of the time that has elapsed.
How many people have asked me this week: “What happened to your chin?”
To which I have replied:
1. Reading Tennyson’s poem “Charge of the Light Brigade” aloud at church this morning!
2. Finishing my paper on Paul Celan’s poem “Deathfugue”!
3. Samovar / “Darjeeling Limited” scenery / walking to the Embarcadero with S.
4. Snow Patrol’s album “Eyes open”
5. A dish I concocted today of Israeli couscous, curry powder, dried cherries, pomegranate seeds, pears, pignolas, and cubes of Jerusalem Artichoke. Yum!
6. Tiffany’s explanation of David and Goliath motifs this evening after viewing “In the land of Elah”
7. Walking to the Fillmore with Lisa and Claudia today for Chocolate Thai Iced Tea!
8. Discovering and being sucked in hook, line and sinker into the TV show “Heroes”
9. Learning I am a kite
10. Visiting, laughing, praying and reading Psalms with Rose and Broderick in the hospital
1. Playing Mexican Train dominoes with friends over wine and much laughter!
2. Hanging out at K + L’s house and instead of watching a movie, discussing movies for hours!
3. Seeing “Sweeney Todd” today and catching up with my new standing musical theater date!
4. My new recipe for Fig Walnut Scones. Yum!
5. Bonding with the roomies over brunch!
6. Chatting with a painter in Union Square over her Aspen Birches painted in acrylic. Mesmerizing!
7. Spicy pumpkin soup with Mexican cream and spicy pepitas!
8. Herbert Zbigniew’s poem “I Gave My Word”
9. Walking down Market street today alone with my thoughts
10. Anthony’s song “Johanna” in “Sweeney Todd”- so beautiful!
1. Making my first pseudo-Spanakopita using the insight of the chef’s secret ingredients from “The Black Olive” in Baltimore!
2. Walking the cobbled streets of Baltimore, visually soaking in the architecture!
3. Snow Patrol’s “Eyes Open” CD
4. Knowing I get to use my passport tomorrow!
5. The aunt in “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” especially when she says, “You a vegetarian?! That’s okay, I’ll make lamb.”
6. Sitting outside today at the official Greek Festival, listening to the strains of Greek music, watching the teenagers dance and eating yummy lemony rice!
7. Walking with Lyla & laughing at men in chaps from the Folsom Street Festival!
8. Sitting and singing next to Mariah this morning at church!
9. A letter in the mail from Pam & Darren!
10. Getting caught up with a friend from school over Afghani food in Baltimore!
11. Housemade baklava ice cream!
1. The arrival of fall. It’s sneaky, at moments cloaking itself in the sun, but the bite in the air gives it away!
2. Having both of my best friends in the same town for a weekend!
3. Dancing until the late hours of evening at a fabulous Kennyo production!
4. Seeing the bard in the park with a bag full of blankets and not getting cold! How about the “Tears for Fears” gesture in the midst of a “Midsummer Night’s Dream?”
5. Walking Crissy Field on an unexpected day and having a great conversation full of laughter!
6. Watching Emily Dickinson and Gerald Stern’s poetry influence new thoughts into my words!
7. “Chocolate Chai” hot chocolate from Bittersweet.
8. Waking up, praying first thing in the morning. It sets me on such an even-keeled tone for the day!
9. Having brunch and running into an old high school friend! Small world.
10. Last but seriously not least, conversing candidly with my mentor about the challenges of this season and him encouraging the embers back into flame. Thanks Jeff!
I was talking with Sharona this morning and decided this is my version of sunlight on the web, my VH1’s “Best Week Ever” synopsis (Also known as how many exclamation points can you jam into one blog entry). I think for a little while I may be expressing my thoughts in 10 point summaries and leaving the writing for the poems and papers. Much love to you all…